Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

More creak!

These videos are from a creak-hating blog entry from 2009. The blog entry gets a lot of things about creak wrong, but the comments are fascinating! There are so many REAL HATERS of creaky voice. Like this poor girl who comments on the blog, claiming creak is ruining her life:

"You have no idea how thankful I am to have come across your blog! I have been going out of my mind over this thing for years, because it's so awful and irritating, and so ubiquitous that my poor ears feel constantly assaulted; I'm to the point where I actually dread it when someone starts to speak - I immediately tense up, and can relax only when the speaker turns out to NOT have this absurd affect (which, of course, rarely happens.) Listening to NPR is an absolute carnival of horrors in that almost every female reporter on there indulges in this annoying practice; I can't believe that there's no quality control or some sort of broadcasting standard over there. I'm thinking of sending them a letter of outrage, but I need to muster up the energy to do it - listening to that horrible creak, everywhere and all day long, really wears a person down."

Anyway, here are the videos. I don't agree that Natalie Portman's creak almost makes my ears bleed, as the commenter who suggested these videos claimed, but the fact that she doesn't say much of anything does make the phonation type not quite as charming...




This second video is really surprising - super creak used in an instructional video:

No comments: